Saturday 12 November 2011

Raising Money for Charity

I live in the UK and every year there is a massive event called 'Children In Need'. For those of you in the UK - you will know exactly what I am talking about, but for everyone else I will quickly explain.

Children In Need is one of the UK's biggest charities - it is run by the BBC. Every year they have a whole night of television with guests, games, activities, celebrities and stories. The money they raise gets spent on Children only - but in every way possible - it goes to care homes, towards child abuse charities, help for young carers, help for children suffering from bullying. It goes to hospitals, play groups. Anything you can imagine. It is a really good cause.

It also has an adorable mascot - Pudsey!
Isn't he lovely. If you want to know more about 'Children In Need' the website is here. Please check it out.

Now onto the point of my post. Every year I do something to raise money for Children In Need. Last year I did a tree top obstacle course whilst dressed as a clown! the year before that I did a 100 length swim (in an hour!), this year I am going to conquer a fear.

If any of you have been following me for a while you will know that I do High Board Diving. I have been doing it for years but I mainly specialize on the 1m board (yes the lowest, although I do go off the 3 & 5m but only simple dives)

Well now I am going to challenge myself. 2-3 years ago I tried a Back Fall off of the 3m board, I pushed too hard and flipped over - I landed flat on my front with a smack, which really hurt. I'm talking bruises all up my legs and stomach and one very red face. I haven't done another one since.
Until now!
To raise money and conquer my fear all in one I am going to try again. I'm a better diver now than I was 3 years ago so I should be able to do it. It's just the fear holding me back so this gives me a good insentive to do it.

On Friday 18th November at my diving session I will finally do a Back Fall off the 3m board. But I want as many sponsors as possible. This is where you all come in. I know money is tight for a lot of people but every little bit helps.
I have a donate button on the top right hand side of my blog. If you would like to sponsor me please click on that button and then email me at becca9(at)gmail(dot) with a copy of the receipt, your name and a note specifying it's for Children In Need- so I can note down how much each person has sponsored on my sponsorship form. I will then total up how much I get and pay that to the Charity.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any sponsors.

No comments: