Monday 23 May 2011

Book Review - Angel (Maximum Ride)

Title: Angel
Author: James Patterson
Series: Maximum Ride (book 7)
Publisher: Century
Release Date: 3 Mar 2011
ISBN-13: 978-1846054662

Synopsis
Max Ride and her best friends have always had one another’s backs. No matter what. Living on the edge as fugitives, they never had a choice. But now they’re up against a mysterious and deadly force that’s racing across the globe – and just when they need one another the most, Fang is gone. He’s creating his own gang that will replace everyone – including Max.

Max is heartbroken over losing Fang, her soulmate, her closest friend. But with Dylan ready and willing to fight by her side, she can no longer deny that his incredible intensity draws her in.

Max, Dylan, and the rest of their friends must soon join with Fang and his new gang for an explosive showdown in Paris. It’s unlike anything you’ve ever imagined . . . or read.

*may include spoilers from previous books in the series*
My Review
I read the rest of this series last year, and I remember crying at the end of 'Fang' and despairing that I had a year to wait for the next one. It took forever for it to come in at the library too, but when I saw it a couple of days ago I was so excited.
This is book 7 in the series, and although it has been so long since I read the other books, it was amazing how much I could remember. I would like to go back and read them all again, but think I'll wait until book 8 comes out next year (The final installment apparently too)
Anyway, Fang has left and is trying to recruit his own gang of 'enhanced' children. MAx is left behind heartbroken, and in danger of falling apart. Then the crazy scientists show up and try to convince her that she is the one to save the world and that to do it she will hav to be the leader of thousands of other kids - all genetically modified. But what if those kids don't want her as a leader. A new craze starts sweeping the country but it's dangerous. Thousands could end up being killed and many more injured. It's up to Max and the gang to save the world...Again!
I was instantly hooked back into the world and I like the easy writing style, it's like Max is actually talking to you. The writing flows easily and the chapters are short, keeping me turning the page in a need to know more.
Max really grows up in this book, it's not all kicking butt and flying (thought there is plenty to keep you entranced) but she has to face real problems and figure out what it is she really wants in life, and with that she has to decide who she can trust. 
The story line is good and i loved the relationships and as usual the fight scenes are gripping. This book is 291 pages but it felt like it passed in an instant. I couldn't put it down and I was through it in no time.
I have to admit that in places I wanted to slap Max and say 'quit whining already and deal, it is what it is.' but then she would do something and i'd be all 'aww, poor girl.' 
I love Gazzy and Iggy they make me laugh, and I still can't decide whether I love or hate Angel.
The end of this book is a real shocker and I cannot wait to find out what happens in the next one. This book didn't make me cry like earlier installments but I did laugh out loud in places and have a few *gasp* moments. 
It was great to be back with the gang.

My Rating
I would give this book 8/10, a gripping read that will take you on an adventure. Can't wait for the next book. I need more!!!   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really need to read this book! I've read all of the other books in the series.