Friday 12 July 2013

Book Review - Cirque Du Freak

Title: Cirque Du Freak
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 1)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books; First Edition
Release Date: 4 Jan 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0006754169

Synopsis
Darren Shan is just an ordinary schoolboy - until he gets an invitation to visit the Cirque du Freak...until he meets Madam Octa...until he comes face to face with a creature of the night.

Soon, Darren and his friend Steve are caught in a deadly trap. Darren must make a bargain with the one person who can save Steve. But that person is not human and only deals in blood...


My Review
I had always avoided Darren Shan, I believed it to be too scary, had heard he was a young Stephen King in his style. I was convinced these books would terrify me and I would never pick one up. My taste in books has changed and grown over the last few years and I'm reading things I never thought I would, so when these books were recommended to me, very highly I decided to give it a go. I thought that if it was too scary I could just put it down but could say I at least tried.

I don't know what I was worried about - yes there are some darker moments in these books and if I had of picked it up a few years ago it probably would have scared me, but right now - I loved it. I was completely hooked and just had to keep reading. 
These books are written in the first person (I, me etc) told by Darren Shan (the main character - yes he has the same name as the author - confusing? a bit, but put that thought aside) 
When Darren and his best mate Steve are shown a poster advertising a macabre looking Freak show they are determined to go and check out the wonders within. But there is more hidden inside Cirque Du Freak than either of them bargained for, and their lives will be forever changed.

I was totally immersed in the story, I laughed, shivered and gripped the pages desperate for more. The writing flows so well you feel like the character is talking to you and that you are experiencing it all alongside him. 

I can't wait to read the rest of the series, I have the first 3 here, so look out for the rest of the reviews. I'll definitely be requesting the others to follow.

I would warn younger children against them, as there are some dark moments and some things that may be disturbing, but I think it depends on each person, it didn't scare me and I consider myself a bit of a wimp, but as I said before my tastes have matured.
Also warnign for Arachnophobes - there is a spider involved, made me shiver! 

My Rating
  
  

2 comments:

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The Saga is one of my all time favourite series, next to Harry Potter. I love it soooo much! I'm also due for a re-read at some point. The fact that Darren has the same name as the author is relevant, I promise. It's not just thrown in there to be confusing XD Ermehgerd, YES, another Darren Shan fan! *flails*

I need to calm down.

barmybex said...

HI Amber! Love to see your excitement, flail away I don't mind.
Oooh I look forward to finding out why the name is important then!
Just finished book 3, review coming! Have to wait til next week for the next book to come in. But I want it now!!! :D
Thanks for visiting.