Thursday 25 July 2013

Book Review - The Iron Queen

Title: The Iron Queen
Author: Kaitlin Bevis
Series: Daughters of Zeus (book 3)
Publisher: Musa publishing
Release Date: 16 May 2013
ISBN13: 9781619376045 
ASIN: B00CUFSIIY

Synopsis
Life is hell for Persephone. Zeus will stop at nothing to gain access to the living realm and the Underworld, and as the only living god with a right to both, Persephone’s in trouble. Captured and tortured beyond the limits of her resolve, Persephone must find the power to stand against Zeus. But will she be strong enough?

Meanwhile, Hades contemplates desperate measures to rescue his queen. Persephone never thought of herself as dangerous, but there’s a reason gods never marry for love. A being with the power to destroy all of creation shouldn’t place more value in one individual than the rest of the planet. But Hades...Hades would break the world for her.

To save the world and stop both Hades and Zeus, Persephone must make a difficult choice. One that may cost her everything.
 


My Review
I fell in love with this series, last year when I read 'Persephone' and the 'Daughter of Earth & Sky' and desperately waited for more from the series. So naturally I was thrilled when I was asked if I wanted to read book 3. 
I worried I wouldn't remember much about the story as I finished book 2 back in December, but as soon as I started this one I was transported back into that world and everything came back to me. 
Basic summary of the world - Hades and Persephone are married, Hades is a good guy, Poseidon is a bit of a grumpy git and Zeus is the bad guy. He wants to take control but the other Gods and Demigods can't let this happen. 
I really enjoyed this book and read a lot of it when our internet flaked out a lot a couple of weeks ago, I actually got about two thirds of the way through it in one night, but then I got delayed with it as the Kindle app wouldn't let me transfer it from my laptop to my ipad. No matter what I try it won't let me, I've tried multiple times. Which meant I had to read it when i was able to sit down with my laptop and have time with everything else done, which is why it took a lot longer. I still loved the book and thoroughly enjoyed it, but think i would have Totally Loved it, if I'd have been able to read it more in one go (or not so spread. But that's a personal thing and by no way affects the quality of the story.
Bevis has a flair for writing exciting and heart-pounding scenes and characters that make you care about them.
Persephone is a truly amazing character, she puts up with so much, horrendous things but she stays strong, part of that is due to the support of Hades and her friends, but a lot of it is inner strength and I admire that so much. She knows she can't give up and risks everything to save the world.
Hades is awesome and powerful and charming, and a real softy when it comes to Persephone. They make a great couple. 
This is a series that I know I will keep coming back to, there's just something magical about it, and addictive. Bevis certainly has a winner here. 

 My Rating
 
  

No comments: