Thursday 25 July 2013

Book Review - Slawter

Title: Slawter
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Demonata (Book 3)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 1st August 2006
ISBN-13: 978-0007231386

Synopsis
Lights. Camera. Slawter!
Grubbs Grady and his half-brother Bill-E are thrilled to join their uncle Dervish as onset consultants for the newest movie by cult horror producer David A Hayms. Shot in a deserted town renamed Slawter, the demon-themed movie is to be Hayms's masterpiece. But as strange incidents disrupt the set, Grubbs begins to wonder whether more than filming is afoot
.


My Review
We are back with Grubbs, a year has passed since his first encounter with Lord Loss, Dervish is having horrible nightmares and Grubbs is struggling to pull him back from that darkness. Until they are invited to be consultants on a new horror film. The Producer/Director has heard that Dervish is a master of information on demons and wants to use that knowledge to make a super realistic Demon film, the only problem it - things start to get a little bit too realistic when real Demons show up. But with actors and costumes everywhere, who will believe Grubbs when he tries to unearth them.
I liked Grubbs a lot more in this book, he's grown up a lot and is really coming into his own, he's stronger and plans ahead more.  
I read this one really quickly again, I just couldn't seem to stop reading. It's so gripping I had to know what would happen, there are a lot of surprise twists and turns and loads of excitement. Again there was some gore and quite bloody scenes, but I've come to expect that from this series and it didn't seem as bad as the first book, for me that one was the most shocking and therefore had the biggest effect. I'd still caution anyone easily scared, squeamish or younger readers. 
Very enjoyable and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. Got to wait for the next book to arrive though...

My Rating
 
   

No comments: