Saturday 13 July 2013

Book Review - Tunnels of Blood

Title: Tunnels of Blood
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 3)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 5 Feb 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0006755142

Synopsis
Darren, the vampire's assistant, gets a taste of the city when he leaves the Cirque Du Freak with Evra the snake-boy and Mr. Crepsley. When corpses are discovered--corpses drained of blood-- Darren and Evra are compelled to hunt down whatever foul creature is committing such horrendous acts. Meanwhile, beneath the streets, evil stalks Darren and Evra, and all clues point to Mr. Crepsley. Can they escape, or are they doomed to perish in the tunnels of blood?

My Review
I love how fast I can get through these books, they just keep getting better and I am totally addicted. 
Darren is starting to get used to life as a half-vampire and spending his time with Mr Crepsley and the Cirque, but something comes up that draws them away from the troupe and back into a busy city. Once there Mr Crepsley starts to disappear more often and Darren wants to know why, then there is news of human killings and he starts to worry about Crepsley's movements. With Evra the snake boys help they get thrown into a dark world and into the deadly tunnels under the city. There is more lurking down there than a few rats.
These books carry an air of mystery about them anyway but I liked the added suspicions and clues in this one. The writing came across a bit more tense and made my heart pump faster, I had to find out what would happen, I couldn't stop until I did. 
I was glad that Evra featured more in this book, I really like him and think he might even be my favourite character, he has a certain charm about him and he bounces off Darren really well and the pair make reading a joy.
Again there is a little bit of gore and of course blood in the book but not too much to handle, certainly not enough to put me off. 
I can't wait to read the rest of this series, I need to know what becomes of Darren and Crepsley!

My Rating
 
   

No comments: