Thursday 18 July 2013

Book Review - Vampire Prince

Title: Vampire Prince
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 6)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 5 Feb 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0007115167

Synopsis
Branded a traitor, betrayed by a friend, hunted by the vampire clan -- Darren Shan, the vampire's assistant, faces certain death. Can Darren reverse the odds and outwit a Vampire Prince, or is this the end of thousands of years of vampire rule? Darren's initiation on Vampire Mountain draws to a stunning, bloody conclusion -- but the Saga continues ...


My Review
At the end of the last book I was on the edge, such a cliffhanger, Shan certainly knows how to keep his readers interested. I had to know more. 
Picking up right where book 5 left off Darren is in desperate trouble, being carried away by the Stream and battered and bruised with a death sentence hangin over his head, it looks like things couldn't get worse. 
Determined to survive, Darren knows he has to return to the Mountain, he has to let the Vampires know about a Betrayal, one that could affect the future of their race. 
This one plays a lot more on tension and builds up events of things to come. The threat hanging over everyone and Darren's struggle to make things right is all building up into something that you know will be bigger.
There is a lot more fighting in this book and quite a lot of deaths on both side. But I had to put this book down for a while, I got so cross with it! Darren Shan killed off one of my favourite characters, one whom I was sure would live out the series and play a much bigger part but he cut her down in her prime. I couldn't believe it. I actually slammed the book down in disgust, but I had to know what would happen next so I ended up picking it up again. But that just shows how invested I am in this series, that it can make me care so much about a character.
Still really enjoying this series and already moving onto the next.

My Rating
   

No comments: