Sunday 21 July 2013

Book Review - Hunters of the Dusk

Title: Hunters of the Dusk
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 7)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 5 Feb 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0007137794

Synopsis
The hunt for the Vampaneze Lord is on as Darren and team set out to defeat the creature who threatens to destroy the vampires forever. When Mr. Tiny visits Vampire Mountain with surprising revelations about the Vampaneze Lord and some new, unexpected troops he's managed to create. Soon, Darren, Mr. Crepsley, and Harkat are on their way to finding the enemy, which leads to shocking truths that Darren learns about his own half-vampire condition, another official hunter to join in the quest, and the help of a powerful sorceress with poisonous frogs guarding her home.

My Review
Once again we have leapt forward 6 years in Shan's story, but once again I didn't feel like I had missed anything, I still knew all the basic and important details of what has happened since and it progresses the story well.
The Vampaneze Lord is coming - that's the message Mr Tiny delivers that sets off a chain of events and adventures. Darren, Mr Crepsley and Harket set off to try and track down and face the Vampire Lord, they are joined by Vampire Prince Vancha March, and on the way they meet Evanna, who doesn't like to be called a Witch, but that's basically what she is. :P
I still love Darren as a character, he really connects to the other characters and to me as a reader, I feel a part of his world. He is growing and learning new things about Vampires, Vampaneze and himself all the time. I wasn't sure about the whole 'Purge' scene, it seemed a bit out of nowhere and forced but I can see why it was put in so I can live with it.
I'm not sure if I like Vancha, he's quite punchy and has a dry sense of humour, he did make me smile with his cheekiness and I look forward to reading more about him. The one I'm really not sure about is Evanna, sure she's feisty and can hold her own, she strikes fear into even the strongest Vampires, but there is something about her I don't really like and I'm waiting for her to impress me. 
There is still a lot of mystery and suspense surrounding the Vampaneze Lord and I look forward to learning more.
Another great book. 

My Rating
   

No comments: