Friday 12 July 2013

Book Review - The Vampire's Assistant

Title: The Vampire's Assistant
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 2)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 5 Feb 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0006755135

Synopsis
After traveling with Mr. Crepsley, the vampire who made him into a half-vampire, Darren returns to the freak show known as the Cirque du Freak and continues to fight his need to drink human blood.
Whilst there he makes friends, avoids enemies and causes a whole lot of trouble.


My Review
After racing through book 1, I had to get straight into book 2. I didn't want to stop. 
I've actually injured my arm which is stopping me from going out and doing all my usual sports every night - bummer, but at least the plus side is that I have more time to read. 
So another evening and another Darren Shan book finished! 
Darren is learning how to adjust to life as a half vampire, there are some good things like the better vision and hearing, the strength and powers, but he still can't bring himself to drink human blood, but without it he will slowly die. Struggling to fight life with morals he has big decisions to make, but he's got time to decide. 
Mr Crepsley decides to take him back to Cirque Du Freak, a place they can fit in and feel almost normal. Whilst there he makes friends with Evra Von the snake boy and a local human boy named Sam. Finally Darren feels like he might belong again, but nothing ever stays that simple. 
I practically tore through this and didn't want to put it down. I feel like Darren is a friend personally telling me his story and I don't want him to stop until I know it all, and he spins such a terrific tale, his words lift you into the page.
There seems to be more character development in this book and I feel like the characters came to life off the page more. 
I really like Evra too and he brings another side of Darren out and the pair work well together.
This one has a few more gruesome moments in it, bit more mention of gore and violence but it wasn't enough to scare me off, just might want to bare it in mind for younger readers. 
I can't wait to read more of this series. Luckily I have book 3 ready to read, I just hope the rest come in quick. 

My Rating
     

No comments: