Sunday 12 August 2012

Book Review - Along For The Ride

Title: Along For The Ride
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 4 Feb 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0141327488

Synopsis
Ever since her parents began fighting, Auden has been unable to sleep at night. Now, spending a summer at a charming beach town with her father and his new family, she has to find new places to pass the time she spends awake. And so she meets Eli, a fellow insomniac who becomes her nighttime guide. Together, they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she has missed; for Eli, to come to terms with the death of a friend. In her trademark blockbuster-style, Sarah Dessen creates a powerful and irresistible story of two people learning how to connect.  

My Review
This is the last of Sarah Dessen's books to read. That's it I have now read everything by her and I have to say I enjoyed them all. But I definitely saved one of the best ones till last. I really enjoyed this book. Not sure why but I did!
I think my favourite is 'The Truth About Forever' followed closely by 'Just Listen' but this gets in the top 3.
When Auden goes to stay with her dad for teh summer she expects a bit of family time combined with studying for college next year, what she gets is long nights, babysitting and more arguing between her dad and Heidi her step mum. Then she meets Eli, the one with secrets, the quiet one, the person everyone knows but doesn't really interact with anymore, but for some reason he connects with Auden and teh pair fill their nights together running errands, having fun and trying to capture moments of fun that Auden missed growing up.
Sarah Dessen just has such a way with words that you can't but help be drawn into the world she creates and feel like you've known the characters for years. I instantly felt connected with Auden and felt real empathy for her. 
I love the mystery surrounding Eli too, it doesn't last throughout the book as you find out about his past and see Auden's reaction to it, but he then became this whole other character, the sort of best friend boyfriend figure. He was willling to do anything for Auden and he always seemed to want what was best for her and in fact those around her too. He is such a sweetheart. Why can't there be more men in the world like that!
Again I love how there are overlaps in the book from Dessen's other works, for example Auden and her dad go to eat at Last Chance cafe which of course is the center of one of her other books. It's really cool. 
There is such a mix of characters in this book and they all play their part, Maggie who works for Heidi who seems superficial and typical jealous girl but is really sweet and very intelligent, Adam who acts all cool but really just wants to go out with Maggie, Heidi the step mother who has so much to deal with 
What am I telling you all this for? I don't know, you should read it yourself and see how great it is. 
The plot has real focus and great pace, i love how the characters all develop and change throughout the book, especially Auden, she really blossoms. 
At just over 400 pages this book is quite big but I read it in less than a day and it's so easy to read, you really feel like you are part of the story and time just flies by.
Again one of the things I love about this book is the cover, so pretty. I love how the dress is made up of things that are important in the book.  
I hope Dessen writes more books as I will feel lost without her characters visiting my life. Her books are great to just get swept away for a while. 

My Rating
 








2 comments:

Cayce said...

OMG the cover!
I want this book just for the cover! :)

barmybex said...

I know! it's awesome. I love this design. Nearly all the books of hers I read were like this. But this was one of the best.