Thursday 23 August 2012

Book Review - The Angel Experiment

Title: The Angel Experiment
Author: James Patterson
Series: Maximum Ride (book 1)
Publisher: Headline
Release Date: 10 April 2006
ISBN-13: 978-0755321940

Synopsis
WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE Do not put this book down. I'm dead serious - your life could depend on it. I'm risking everything by telling you - but you need to know.

YOUR FAITHFUL COMPANIONS: Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman and Angel. Six kids who are pretty normal in most ways - except that they're 98% human, 2% bird. They grew up in a lab, living like rats in cages, but now they're free. Aside, of course, from the fact that they're prime prey for Erasers - wicked wolf-like creatures with a taste for flying humans.

THE MISSIONS: Rescue Angel from malicious mutants. Infiltrate a secret facility to track down the flock's missing parents. Scavenge for sustenance. Get revenge on an evil traitor. And save the world. If there's time.


  
My Review
This is actually a re-read for me but I first read it about 3 years ago before I ever started blogging. I followed the series through and have just got 'Nevermore' from the library. As it's the last installment and so long since I read the rest I thought I would re-read the whole series, so look out for more reviews over the next few days.
This is going to be harder to review as I have already read most of the series I have ideas of what comes after and as I was reading this book I was thinking about whether it matched events in later books etc instead of just enjoying the story as it was. I am going to try and review it as if I had never read it before as that would be fairer, and I remember when I did read it all those years ago that I absolutely loved it, so here goes.
This book is told in first person from Max's perspective. Max is a 14 year old girl who happens to also be the result of genetic experiments. Her and 5 others were brought up in a lab and have wings, like proper 13 foot wingspan, I can fly sort of wings. Crazy right? but kinda cool.
I liked Max's narration she has a good level of sarcasm and humour and really lets you into her 'thoughts'. She pulls you along on her journey so it's almost like you are running/flying/hiding right along with her.
The group or 'flock' as they call themselves are a real mixture but somehow it works. Fang is the strong silent type, Iggy may be blind but nothing holds him back, Nudge is the girly talkative one who struggles to know when to be quiet, The Gasman lives up to his name and can knock you out with one blow and Angel is a sweet little 6 year old who could have a hidden agenda. She's the real mystery and worry for the group. 
The book is exciting and quite fast paced, a lot is packed into the book and it's like being on a rollercoaster ride. I did find myself enjoying it, but I would question a couple of things.
Firstly, at one point in the book they need to hide and come up with disguises, luckily for them a designer shop is having a 'free makeover day/promotion', perfect timing right! *rolls eyes* but that I could believe, however once in the makeover they are told anything will be changed including hair, make-up clothes but they can't do tattoos without parent permission. That's fine too, but then Gasman and Iggy have their hair so it's dyed bleach blonde, cut at the side and spiked in the middle with the tips of the spikes dyed either blue or black. I'm all for hairstyles etc, but don't you think the average parent would be furious if their child came home with blue spiked hair!!! Especially with school uniform rules etc. It's a bit drastic. I mean we as readers know the flock don't have parents or go to school, but the designers/makeover team wouldn't know. Just seemed a bit silly. 
Max gets help from a Doctor at one point, and she doesn't question the fact that Max is a teenager with Wings!!! She barely catches a breath or bats an eyelid. I would be having a freaking heart attack!
 Apart from little things like that I did enjoy the book and could feel myself being pulled back into the world. I should be able to power through this series quickly as they are easy reads.

My Rating
 

 

1 comment:

barmybex said...

Thanks! I've just finished book 2, am really charging through the series and still enjoying it! :D