Thursday 16 August 2012

Book Review - Torn

Title: Torn
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle Trilogy (book 2)
Publisher: Tor
Release Date: 1 Mar 2012
ISBN13: 9781447205708

  Synopsis
Acknowledging that she was different from everyone else wasn’t difficult for Wendy Everly – she’d always felt like an outsider. But a new world and new family is a hard for any girl to accept easily.

Leaving behind the mysterious country of her birth, she is determined to fit back into normal life. But the world she’s left behind won’t let her go that easily. Kidnapped and imprisoned by her true family’s enemies, Wendy soon learns that the lines between good and evil aren’t as defined as she thought. And those things she’d taken for granted may have been lies all along. With the help of the dangerously attractive Loki, she escapes back to the safety of Förening – only to be confronted by a new threat.

It’s time to make a choice – can she put aside her personal feelings for the sake of her country? Torn between duty and love she must make a choice that could destroy her one chance at true happiness.


My Review
I wasn't sure whether to read this book or not, if you saw my review of 'Switched' you will have seen that it wasn't particularly positive and I didn't know if I should carry on, but I was intrigued just enough to want to know more. So I started this one. I immediately felt better about this book, it seemed like the author had got into the flow of writing better and I was just overall more interested. 
I was glad I pushed on and didn't give up. I wouldn't say it was one of the best books or series I had ever read but it was ok. 
Wendy has now come to realise that she really is different and that everything she has been told is true, she is the Trylle Princess and some day very soon she will have to face up to that responsibility.
This book starts exactly after book 1 ends, so going straight into felt like a natural continuation.
Matt features a bit more in this book which I was pleased about as I seemed to enjoy his bits more than some of the other characters. We also see the development with Rhys and discovering who he really is and this is what I liked the most about this book I think.  
We also see the love triangle ore really I suppose quadrangle as there is a new party involved too. 3 men are all chasing Wendy and she has to decide which one she will go for. First there is Finn, I was really on his side in book 1 but my mind starts to change in this book, he becomes a bit possessive and acts like a total a** in places. We then have Loki, who should be the enemy but can't help but connect with Wendy. I didn't like him as much before now but he features a lot more in this book and you find out more about him and I started to open up to him. 
You then have Tove, an unlikely couple but all along I could see a sort of connection between them, they may not know what they mean to each other if anything but it was an interesting development. 
With these developments Finn really started to get on my nerves, he makes it clear he can't be with Wendy, but as soon as she starts to move towards one of the  other guys he gets all angry and protective again. As much to say 'if I can't have her no one will'. It did get to the point where I just wanted to slap him and tell him to grow up and go away. 
Wendy's indecisiveness really started to bug me part way through too, she was like a yoyo, going back and forth between them all. 
However she starts to live up to her expectations and I had to admire her for that. 
There seemed to be more plot structure in this one and I did read it quite quickly. It did still have it's issues but it was a lot better. Will definitely read book 3, but there are a lot of things I want clearing up and answering. I hope it brings it all together.

My Rating
 
    
 

No comments: