Thursday 2 August 2012

Book Review - Born At Midnight

Title: Born At Midnight
Author: C.C Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls (book 1)
Publisher: Saint Martin's Griffin,U.S.
Release Date: 1 May 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0312624675

Synopsis
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


My Review 
I did a promotion post for 'Taken At Dusk' which is book 3 in the series. The book sounded really good so I decided to look up the series and ordered them from the library. Of course I ordered the whole series, I like to have them all ready to read if I know it's a series. Of course frustratingly book 3 arrived first, so I had to wait for it, but at last I had them all.
Kylie's life isn't what she htought it would be, at 17 her boyfriend has left her for another girl, her parents are getting divorced and she is being stalked by a crazy guy in army uniform that no-one else can see. When she is caught at a party and arrested her mum decides to send her to a Summer Camp called Summer Falls. Kylie has heard it's a place for Juvenile Delinquents, kids known for taking drugs, committing crimes etc, her life officially sucks!
But this camp isn't what she expects and she finds a whole new world waiting for her.
This book is instantly gripping, I'm not even sure why, but for some reason I couldn't step away from it. I immediately wanted to know what Kylie was and what would happen to her. I loved the idea of the summer camp, it was so well set out and the imagery allowed me to picture everything in my head clearly. I swear it was like I was almost there with Kylie and her new friends. 
I loved the host of characters, Kylie is instantly likeable and I had to know more, and the others around her only improve the story and become like long lost friends. I loved 'Della's' attitude and quick retorts, Miranda's sensibility but also fun, and Derek. Yay Derek. Lucas is the mystery man, a remnant from her past, now back in her life, but I definitely know which 'team' I would be on. Derek all the way!
Each time I sat down with this book I only intended to be there for half an hour, but on both occassions I was there for just under 2 hours and so finished it in two sittings. This book is certainly addictive.
I love the world Hunter has created and I can't wait to get stuck into book 2 (Awake At Dawn)
And I have to just add. I think the covers are gorgeous and very cool. 

My Rating
  

5 comments:

Celeste said...

I actually won book 3 and so glad that I did. I love this series and can't wait for the next book. So glad you liked it too.

barmybex said...

Awesome! I'm on book 2 now and still loving it. so good!
I thought it was a trilogy? or will there be more?

Celeste said...

It's more than a trilogy, Whispers at Moonrise comes out in October. You should also read Turned at Dark. It's a short story about how Della became a vampire. You can get the free kindle edition at Amazon. That's how I read it.

barmybex said...

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely check it out. :D Much appreciated.

Celeste said...

No problem. And you can read it whenever since it's kind of separate from the rest.