Friday 31 August 2012

Book Review - Freak The Mighty

Title: Freak The Mighty
Author: Rodman Philbrick
Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd
Release Date: 30 Mar 2007
ISBN-13: 978-0746087251

Synopsis
Meet Maxwell Kane, narrator of Freak the Mighty. He’s a timid soul stuck in the body of a teenage giant with size 14 shoes. Haunted by a dark secret in his past, he hides out in his basement room, avoiding the world. But when a new kid moves in next door Max’s life changes forever. The two outcasts form the ‘normal’ world team up to become “Freak the Mighty.”

Like knights of old they defend the weak, right every wrong–and solve the mystery of Max’s past. Proving once and for all that courage comes in all sizes.



My Review
I was recommend this by one of the librarians and I got it as a group read for my Teen Book Group at the library back in May. Half the group read it, the rest didn't and I never got round to it. BUt 2 of the teenagers told me it was good and definitely worth a read so i kept hold of it.
I picked this up this afternoon as I wanted a quick read and this was only 175 pages with fairly big writing so I thought it would be perfect. The book is narrated by Maxwell Kane (Max) he lives with his Gram and Grim (grandparents) and his room is in the Basement but he likes being able to hide in the dark spaces, it's the only place he really can hide as he is very big for his age, so stands out in any crowd.
But everything changes when Kevin moves in a couple of doors down. Kevin is a child genius but is also tiny. He has a sort of Dwarfism. Together the pair strike up an odd friendship, Kevin ends up finding a comfortable perch on Max's shoulder and together they call themselves 'Freak The Mighty'. Kevin is like a walking dictionary and has a vivid imagination, so together they go on all sorts of adventures. Max starts to realise that he can do things for himself such as read and learn. It's like Kevin is an extra brain, teaching him things he needs to know. 
But then a figure from his past comes back and Max is in danger, can the pair find a way out, and save each other.
This book is quite involved considering it is so short but I actually enjoyed it. I loved Kevin's spark, he was so happy and jumpy at everything and would also come out with all sorts of 'posh' words and long sentences that made him sound like a super brain. But he is so friendly and encouraging to Max that you can't help but become attached to him.
Max is like a gentle giant, sort of like a teen BFG. He comes across as quite slow and unintelligent, but throughout the book you see him develop and grow. 
There are some laugh out loud moments, some gasp moments, some ridiculous moments and some sad moments. I did not expect the ending and was quite sad at the turn of events (i don't want to give it away) but I admire the author for following the story truthfully. 
A sweet touching story that has a good message to it and is an enjoyable book. Good for adults and children alike. 

My Rating

2 comments:

Annette Mills said...

This is a classroom read -- I think in 6th grade -- at my school. I've never read it. I think I should. Thanks!

barmybex said...

I didn't think I would like it, and I knew it was used in schools, but I was pleasantly surprised, definitely worth a go. :D