Sunday 12 August 2012

Book Review - Slated

Title: Slated
Author: Teri Terry
Series: Slated (book 1)
Publisher: Orchard
Release Date: 3 May 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1408319468

Synopsis
Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?


My Review
I'd seen this on Facebook with people changing their profile photo to a picture of them on the cover with 'have you been slated' on it and I was intrigued. I also saw some blogs mention it but I didn't pay too much attention. I thought it looked cool but that was about it. I then went to a Sci-Fi discussion in London at Foyles bookshop and Teri Terry was in the audience with Candy Gourlay. My friend and I said hello and we had a brief chat. I decided I thought the book sounded good so i looked it up, now determined to read it. It took ages to come in at the library and I almost forgot about it. Then it arrived last week and it said 'psychological thriller' on the back which put me off a bit. I'm a wimp and don't deal with Thrillers well, but I really wanted to know what it was about, so I decided to give it a go anyway.
I picked it up at about 11.30 this morning and I had finished it by 6 this evening. I spent most of teh day reading, I couldn't put the book down it was so gripping. Within the first 20 pages I was completely hooked, I had to know who Kyla was, what had happend to her and what the government was hiding from her. I instantly became invested in her life and I couldn't look away. 
Kyla has been Slated, she isn't supposed to remember anything form her previous life. The authorities tell her she was a criminal, a terrorist and this was her chance for a new life. But something is different with Kyla, she has vivid Nightmares that seem so real they must be memories, she doesn't react teh way she should to treatments and she learns very quickly. She also wonders what is really going on, are all these people really criminals or have they been Slated for other reasons.
There is a real sense of mystery in this book, who can be trusted and who can't, who wants Kyla to do well and live her live and who is just waiting for her to trip up. I think I pretty much figured out who was trustworthy but you are never really sure.
Kyla is such a great character, you almost feel like you are learning everything with her, discovering everything as she does and feeling what she feels. Despair, hope, anger, fun, freedom.
The writing in this is just fabulous, really carries you away and really creates a picture in your mind, I swear I could picture it all. I really felt like I was in the story.
As the book went on I felt myself sitting up, gripping the pages eager to know more but wanting to savor every page. I couldn't get enough. there were many unexpected twists too, and the ending is a real cliffhanger. I have to know what happens next and I can't believe it's going to be next year before we get it! I'll be waiting eagerly for more.
This book wasn't scary, just breath-taking and thought-provoking. It is exactly the sort of book I love, one you can really get your teeth into.
If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it, add it to your lists, heck even put it at the top of your list. This book needs to be read!

My Rating



No comments: