Tuesday 14 August 2012

Book Review - Switched

Title: Switched
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle Trilogy (book 1)
Publisher: Tor
Release Date: 5 Jan 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1447210283

Synopsis
Wendy Everly knew she was different the day her mother tried to kill her and accused her of having been switched at birth. Although certain she’s not the monster her mother claimed she is, she does feel that she doesn’t quite fit in. The new girl in High School, Wendy is bored and frustrated by her small-town life – and then there’s her secret, her mysterious ability – she can influence people’s decisions, without knowing how, or why . . . When the intense and darkly handsome newcomer Finn suddenly turns up at her bedroom window one night, her world is turned upside down. He holds the key to her past, the answers to her strange powers and is the doorway to a place she never imagined could exist: Förening, the home of the Trylle. Among the Trylle she is not just different, but special. But what marks her out as chosen for greatness in this world also places her in grave danger. With everything around her changing, Finn is the only person she can trust. But dark forces are conspiring – not only to separate them, but to see the downfall of everything that Wendy cares about. . .

My Review
I had seen this on so many blogs and heard such raving reviews for it I knew I had to check it out. When I looked it up and read the synopsis I thought it sounded really good so I requested the entire trilogy from the library then waited for them all to come in so once I had started I could go through all 3. As I said in one of my earlier reviews this week that I have some time off work and am having a bit of a read-a-thon, I decided now would be a perfect time to leap into this series. I figured at my current rate I could read at least the first 2 in a day.
I was so excited to get into this series, maybe that's why I didn't particularly enjoy it. I think I had built it up so much in my mind that it was impossible for the book to live up to it. Wait, let me start at the beginning.
When I first started the book I was intrigued but not wowed. It starts off with a bit of a bang and a 'Woah!' moment, but even then I only had mild curiosity, not burning need to read more. Wendy seemed like a spoilt little brat who although didn't deserve what her mother did to her, but certainly did deserve a good telling off. It then jumps to her in High-School being almost stalked by a guy. even then I didn't really care who he was. But I was determined to give this a go and so I pushed on. I perked up a bit when she started talking about her 'powers' and when the secrets started to come out again but even then the slightest distraction was pulling me away from the book. Normally when I read I am totally immersed in the world as if I am actually there, but I just didn't feel the draw with this one.
I got to page 130 ish and thought 'I don't care what happens to her', for a second I couldn't even remember her name, I just didn't feel that character connection. It wasn't the writing as technically that was very good and it did flow well, for some reason i just couldn't engage, but I hate to give up on books and as so many people had loved it I was sure I was missing something so I had a short break and then came back and  pushed on.
I'm glad I did as the last 100 pages do pick up and i found myself enjoying it more, but I did almost skim read some of the pages. I really liked Finn and I found Rhys' cheeky charm endearing. I started to get into it a bit more. 
I am glad I finished it and I am intrigued enough to know what happens next so I will give 'Torn' a go, I hope it carries on where the first one finished and can hook me on. I want to know if Wendy will go back and if Elora ever shows a caring moment. 
I can sort of see why so many loved it, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. 

My Rating
  

No comments: