Thursday 16 August 2012

Book Review - Ascend

Title: Ascend
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle Trilogy (book 3)
Publisher: Tor
Release Date: 26 April 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1447210313

Synopsis
Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself. If she doesn't surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe. But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind...even if it's the only way to save them?

The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn't the only thing she stands to lose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she's about to make the ultimate choice...who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life--and now all their lives might be coming to an end.

Everything has been leading to this moment. The future of her entire world rests in her hands--if she's ready to fight for it.


This Review contains spoilers on characters and plot points!
My Review
I thought the series really picked up in Torn, I still wasn't wowed but I wanted to know how it all turned out so I went straight into this book. 
I really wanted this book to answer a lot of questions I had and to tie up a lot of lose ends and I am pleased to say that it did! In my opinion this was the best book in the series and I actually read it in approx 2 hours, it went by so fast and I found myself beginning to enjoy the world more. 
I do have some negatives so I will get them out of the way first.
Wendy, overall her character develops really well and she steps up to take her role as future Queen, but when it comes to her love life I want to slap her, first she is pining over Finn and heart-broken that he doesn't want her, but then 20 pages or so later she is all googly eyed over Loki, then she marries Tove and wonders if she can love him whilst being totally head over heels for Loki, then Finn comes back and she is wondering what if again! For goodness sake girl, control yourself! Make your mind up, pick one guy and get on with it. Moving throughout the book I was glad that she and Tove come to an agreement that their marriage is for the good of the Kingdom and no feelings included. I loved the ending and who she ended up with it was perfect.
Queen Elora - she was such a powerful, feisty, scary Queen in the first book, in this one she is weak and weary and spends 90% of the time she is featured in bed with a migraine or sick in some way. It was explained in the plot why she was like that, but it just seemed like such a dramatic turn around that it wasn't quite believable. It's like a flower that has wilted and died. 
There is also a lot of time when Wendy is researching the History of the Trylle and Vittra, I know this was essential to the story development but it made the pace of the book slow down so much. Reading about Wendy siting and pouring over a book wasn't exactly exciting. It just seemed to drag on a bit to much.
Now onto the positives.
I loved Loki so much in this book, he really comes to life and becomes a real part of Wendy and the Trylle's lives, he has a quick wit, great sarcasm and a real energy that seems to lift off the page. He made me smile throughout.
The world comes to life so much more and I started to feel like I was a real part of the story and I wanted to know what was going to happen.
There is a lot of action and some epic battle scenes that had me turning the pages desperate to see what was coming next.
Overall this book was much more exciting and fast paced and for me made the whole series worth reading. Considering how bad it started out for me I am so glad I got to this point and that I didn't give up on it. 

My Rating
 



  

No comments: