Friday 29 March 2013

Book Review - The Eternity Cure

Title: The Eternity Cure
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden (book 2)
Publisher: Mira
Release Date: 3 May 2013
ISBN13: 9780373210695

Synopsis
Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.
Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.


My Review
Thanks to Netgalley for sending me an e-copy of this book, and then to Mira Ink for sending me a physical copy. I was obviously meant to read this book and I couldn't have been more excited, I enjoyed book 1 and was really looking forward to continuing Allison's journey with her. 
This book continues on from book 1, Kanin is being held by Sarren and Allison is determined to find him. Kanin has become more to Allison than she ever imagined, and now that he has, she has to get him back. But nothing is ever that simple, with enemies and friends from the past showing up and the deadly Red Lung virus back and worse than ever Allison has her work cut out for her. Her journey leads her to places she never thought she would see, or go back to. 
I found this book quite addictive, it was one of those books that you tell yourself you will sit down with for ten minutes, or just one chapter and then end up being there for an hour and finished half the book. 
I will say it's not ideal to read this whilst eating. I started it in my lunch break at work, merrily eating chips covered in ketchup when I read a particularly gross scene of someone going mad and clawing their face off, blood spurting out with screams of hysteria - suddenly my ketchup didn't look quite so appealing. 
Saying that this book really isn't for younger readers, there is a lot of blood and violence, some mild swearing and some more blood. This is not for the faint hearted. However, I have always confessed in the past that I am a total wimp and I did manage this book, I cringed a couple of times but not enough to put me off, so really, just be warned.
The plot itself is exciting and full of surprises, I was never sure exactly where it would go and I enjoyed finding out. Allison really develops as a character and you can see her growing and making difficult decisions that will shape who she is.
I always liked Kanin and it was good to see another side of him in this book and of course Zeke, sweet, courageous, kick-butt Zeke. So glad he is back in this one, and it's good to see how much he has grown and changed too.
I'm not going to give anything else away as I don't want to spoil it, but I will say the ending!!! The ending? How can she do that to me, have to wait for ages until the next book. It's gonna be a long wait.

My Rating
             
P.S I will be buying a finished copy of the book as the cover matches book 1 and is awesome, here's a picture:
Isn't that awesome, and so much better fitting than the blue. <3 br=""> 

No comments: