Sunday 31 March 2013

Book Review - Worm Winds of Zanzibar

Title: Worm Winds of Zanzibar
Author: Martin Dukes
Series: (book 2)
Publisher: Martin Dukes
Release Date: 8th February 2013
ISBN13: 9780957567900

Synopsis
Alex Trueman is a boy in danger. His adventures in the strange world of Intersticia have brought him to the attention of dark powers amongst the angels. Malcolm, Alex's protector in the angelic realm of Elysium, snatches Alex and his friends away, just in time to prevent him from falling into the clutches of those whose intentions are of the most sinister kind.
Alex finds himself stranded in a different world, a world that resembles nineteenth century East Africa but one that is threatened by a terrible fate. Alex has been told that he has a special power, a power that makes him unique. Caught between the perils of crazed despots and the servants of malevolent angels, menaced by the threat of a cataclysmic natural disaster, Alex must discover the nature of his power before it is too late.  

 My Review
After reviewing book 1 last year, Martin Dukes sent me book 2 to read, I knew it was coming so was anticipating it. I wanted to know what happened to Alex and Kelly after their stint in Intersicia and if they would get back there.
Again, I'm not really keen on the cover but it matches book 1 and does fit with the story. 
Anyway, I set out with high hopes for this book, I think the world set up in book 1 was well detailed and imaginative and felt they had more to do there, I hoped this book would take us back there. I even wanted to know what became of Ganymede and the other people trapped there. I was slightly shocked when they don't go back there at all but was prepared to go with it.
This time Alex, Kelly and Henry (Alex's friend) end up transported to Zanzibar in the 19th Century, they must try to adapt to life there and learn customs to help them survive. Whilst there they meet up with some friends from Intersticia. 
I liked the world building in this book, the details and reality of 19th Century Zanzibar was impressive and it really came to life off the page, for me that made the book, everything was just so rich and detailed. I could picture the setting clearly, but I did miss the magic and wonder of  Intersticia. For me it lacked some of the charm and wonder of book 1.
There is a love triangle set up in this story, but to be honest I didn't totally believe the chemistry between Alex and Kelly in the first place, she was very moody and distant and quite fickle and Alex was very often too busy or preoccupied to even think about her - Kelly became a sort of after thought for him which meant for me, they just lacked the chemistry for it to be anything more than a mutual appreciation. But I did like the relationship between Kelly and Jamil. 
Henry started out as the average friend, but soon became rather annoying. He has a big mouth and tends to get himself and his friends in trouble. He seems to have a lack of tact and thoughtfulness for others, he is very abrupt and tends to say what he is thinking. This sometimes has funny results and sometimes dangerous. I'm not sure I liked him and was sure on more than one occassion that he would get everyone killed or betray them - he just had that vibe to me.
I liked the apocalyptic threat in the book and the fact that it was sort of an underlying threat, something that would tip everyone over the edge after they had suffered through every other problem thrown thier way. If they all survived. 
There was a host of interesting new characters and the new world was great but I did miss some of the spark of book 1. It just didn't have the same feel to me. I did still enjoy the story but it wasn't what I had expected. The writing itself was well done and Dukes does have a way with words, it just didn't capture my heart. I do want to know how it all wraps up as the ending was quite abrupt, so I will look out for book 3. 


My Rating

No comments: