Sunday 27 January 2013

Book Review - Frost

Title: Frost
Author: Kathryn James
Series: Mist (book 2) 
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: 3 Jan 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1444903072

Synopsis
Last time Nell went into the mist she rescued her sister. This time she’ll have to go farther than the Elven forest, farther than the frozen wastes beyond and onto a lake of primal ice so treacherous she’ll be lucky to return at all.

It’s the New Year, Woodbridge School is closed and the country is snowed in. While the blizzards rage and Nell’s mum works double shifts, their house is full of Gwen’s friends permanently crashing out on every bed and sofa. The Elven world is frozen, too. It’s deep in snow and ice storms are ravaging the forest. Worst of all the massive Harps that keep the Elven land twisted out of sight are falling silent. No music, no land.

Can Nell and Evan cross the deadly frozen lake that surrounds their land, and fight through freezing blizzards? And if they do reach the Harp will they be able to overcome the two enemies waiting for them - Loki and Laki Winter? They are feared Ice Elven, a race so secretive that most young Elven think they’re myths used to scare them into being good. The scheming Winter twins are all too real, though, and they’ll stop at nothing to make sure the Harps stay silent.


My Review
I read Mist just after Christmas and really enjoyed it, and was pleased when I realised how close this book was in release. I requested for the library to buy this book for me straight away and it actually came in quite quickly. 
Frost carries on pretty much where Mist left off. Nell can't stay away from the Elven world no matter what her parents say. Gwen should have fogotten but something is pulling her memories back. Evan has left on a mission and a Blizzard has descended.
Nell gets called back through the Mist to help the Elven, the Mother Harp that keeps their world alive has stopped humming and they need help to start it again before the whole world collapses. 
I got back into the world really easily when I started to read Frost and enjoyed being a part of the mystery again. I read it quite quickly, it's easy to read and sweeps you through, the chapters are quite short and the plot exciting. 
I didn't find this one quite as good as the first, a slight spark was missing, but it was still very good. There are some new characters in this book - the Ice Elven, in particular twins Loki and Laki. Not quite sure whether the are totally good or bad they make a good addition. I didn't like Loki much and didn't trust him but he did make an interesting 'bad guy'.
Evan is of course back in this book and I was glad, he didn't seem quite so strong in this book, he's more hesitant and a bit more unsure I think, but then the situation is very different and there is more at stake for him. 
The book cover is beautiful and the world very well thought out. I did still really like this book and I am looking forward to there being a third book. 

My Rating

2 comments:

Ivana said...

I should read Mist soon, this sounds great.

barmybex said...

Mist is awesome - hope you enjoy it.