Sunday 18 September 2011

Book Review - Anna & The French Kiss

Title: Anna & The French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: 4 Aug 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0142419403

Synopsis
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.
As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?


My Review
I had heard so many good things about this book so I was thrilled when I won a copy from Carla at 'Library Mosaic' I was so excited.
I picked it up an started reading, and was instantly submerged into Anna's world. Anna has been sent to a boarding school in France by her parents, forced to leave behind her best friend, her almost/possible boyfriend and everything she has ever known. Thrust into a world of new people, new culture, new language and new lessons Anna feels totally lost, but once there she meets Mer and her group of friends including the super hot and friendly St Claire. Maybe being in France isn't so bad.
I liked Anna, she seems shy and a bit of a neat/control freak at times but really friendly and passionate about what she loves - namely film. She is a great character and draws you in to her life. I could really feel her pain and feeling of being lost and I could feel her excitement about being in such a great city.
St Claire is a bit of a mystery at first, you get to know him throughout the book and I can see why a lot of people love him. Yes he does have his charm, but he also seemed to be a bit of a player - he strings on at least 3 girls throughout the book. He needs to man up a bit and start acting like a proper boyfriend. Saying that, when he is with Anna, he becomes a whole other person, so sweet, tender, kind and loving. Heart melts!
The story flows really well and takes you through Anna's year at school, you get pulled in with her and swept away. The book didn't take me long to read at all as the writing really makes you feel part of it. 
I love the France settings and places described - It reminds me of places I visited when I went to France in February - brings back good memories. 
I really did enjoy the book but felt a little disappointed. I'm not sure why but I wanted more. Maybe it was because I had heard soo many good things about it that I expected something spectacular. It didn't quite live up to what I thought, but did still enjoy it.
I would definitely read others by Stephanie Perkins. 

My Rating
I would give this book 8.5/10 A great romance/contemporary novel, that will sweep your heart away. Definitely worth a read.       

2 comments:

Carina said...

I'm sure that by now it's getting hard for Anna and the French Kiss to live up to people's expectations, because everyone else who has read this earlier this year is completely in love with it. I'm probably one of those people who ruin it for everyone else by saying how amazing it is. :D But I'm glad you enjoyed it nonetheless. :)

Have a lovely week,
Carina @ Fictional Distraction

barmybex said...

Hehe - I know - it's hard when everyone is so hyper about a book. BUt it's hard to contain the excitement. It was still good. :D

Hope you have a great week too.