Saturday 17 September 2011

Book Review - The Traitor & The Tunnel

Title: The Traitor & The Tunnel
Author: Y.S Lee
Series: The Agency (book 3)
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: 4 Aug 2011
ISBN-13: 978-1406315974

Synopsis
Queen Victoria has a little problem: a series of petty thefts from Buckingham Palace. She calls the Agency for help, and they put Mary Quinn – on her first case as a full-fledged agent – on the case. Going undercover as a domestic servant, Mary’s assignment seems simple enough. But before long, a scandal threatens to tear apart the Royal Family. One of the Prince of Wales’s irresponsible young friends is murdered in scandalous circumstances and the story, if it became public, would disgrace the young prince. Should the Queen hush things up or permit justice to take its course? Mary’s interest in this private matter soon becomes deeply personal: the killer, a drug-addicted Chinese sailor, shares a name with her long-lost father. Meanwhile, James Easton’s engineering firm wins a contract to repair some sewers beneath Buckingham Palace. Trouble is, there’s a tunnel that’s not on the plans. Its purpose is unclear. But it seems to be very much in use – it’s just not clear by whom. These overlapping puzzles offer a perfect opportunity for James and Mary to work together again. If they can still trust one another. If they can suppress the emotions that still torture them. If Mary can forget the sight of that exquisite blonde she sees in James’s drawing-room… In this, Mary’s most personal case yet, she faces struggles at every level – legal, political, personal. And she has everything to lose. 


My Review
I love this series and have been counting down the days until this book was released. I follow the authors blog and snapped up any snippets or news she posted about the book. Then when it came out I tried to hunt down a copy but my local bookshops didn't have it, so I ordered it from Amazon. When it arrived I just held it for a minute and stared. I couldn't believe I'd finally got it. I just knew it was going to be goooooodddd.
Mary is employed to find out who is stealing trinkets from the palace. Working undercover as a maid she has access to most of the Palace. A simple enough case - but things soon get complicated when the Prince is involved in a murder scandal and the man charged with the crime sounds shockingly familiar. Mary must maintain her cover but work to uncover truth and justice and maybe even save the Royal Family.
I was instantly back in this world. Set in Victorian London, everything is so authentic and well researched, the plot is exciting and fast paced. You really get swept up in the story and when Mary gets in to trouble my heart actually races.
I love the character development in this book and the insight into Mary's background and family. She's still feisty and eager to rush into any situation, regardless of danger, but she also has her moments of insecurity and I feel like I really get to know her as a character.
James Easton is back too. YAY! I love James he is gorgeous.  I like his easy banter and stubbornness and his devotion to Mary. Just wow!
I love a Victorian Mystery and these books are perfect. If you haven't read the series I strongly encourage you to do so.


My Rating
I would give this book 9.5/10 brilliantly written and exciting. Lose yourself in the pages.

2 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Ooh this sounds so fun!

barmybex said...

They're great, I think you'd enjoy them. :D