Friday 23 September 2011

Book Review - The Initiation & Captive Pt1

Title: The Initiation & The Captive Pt.1
Author: L.J. Smith
Series: The Secret Circle
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: 7 Jan 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0340999547

Synopsis
In this, the bind up of The Initiation and The Captive Part 1, is the start of Cassie's story. Forced to move from sunny California to gloomy New England, Cassie is homesick - until she forms a bond with a group of teenagers at her school. This clique rules the school - no one dare cross them - but Cassie feels a strange kinship with them, and when she is initiated into their 'secret circle' she is both terrified and thrilled to be part of a coven of witches that have controlled New Salem for hundreds of years...But then Cassie falls in love. Now she has a tough decision to make: does she walk away, or does she step over to the dark side? 


My Review
I've read one L.J Smith book before (Dark Visions) and really enjoyed it. I heard that the Secret Circle has been made into a TV series and starts here this coming Wednesday. It looked quite good from the trailers, but I can't watch something if I know it's based on a book without reading it first, so I requested the series from the library and started reading.
Cassie has to move to a small town called 'New Salem' - surprise surprise not everything is as it seems in the new town. Strange things start happening and Cassie isn't sure what she's got into. I have to admit I found the first book very predictable, I could see what was coming from a mile off, mysterious note to meet in abandoned building -mm who could that be from??? duh! Mysterious boy she meets and happens to instantly fall in love with - best friend with boyfriend out of town -mm could they be connected? Apart from the fact that I could see what was coming from a mile of, I actually quite enjoyed the book.
The plot is quite fast paced and I like the characters. Nick is my favourite but I want more from him. I'm not sure about Cassie, she has some great moments and then others that make me want to slap her.Faye is great, she's the only one that kept me guessing what she would do next.
I like the idea of the circle and the difference between the characters and how they interact. 
I found it quite strange that half of book 2 is put in here. I felt that if they were going to combine the books, they should put the whole book in, but never mind. I got the ext one through at the same time so I had it ready to read.
Overall the book was a good read, but wasn't great. 


My Rating
I would give this book 7.5/10. Good idea but very predictable. Some great characters and easy to read.

4 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

So are you going to watch the series?

barmybex said...

Yeah, I think I'll give it a go. I'm curious to see what changes they made. :D

TG said...

I read this series recently because of the TV show, too. I thought it was pretty dated and predictable but the core of the story (teen witches, born in creepy circumstances) was interesting enough to keep reading. They're really quick reads, too, so it was no hardship to spend a day or two on them. I think The Captive was the best book of the 3.

barmybex said...

Yeah it's good enough to keep reading, but very predictable.
I liked The Captive best too I think, then The Power.
Thanks for stopping by. :D