Saturday 24 September 2011

Book Review - The Captive Pt2 & The Power

Title: The Captive Pt2 & The Power
Author: L J Smith
Series: The Secret Circle
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: 4 Feb 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0340999554

Synopsis
Now that Cassie is part of the most alluring and deadly clique imaginable, she is starting to realise that power comes with a price - more dangerous than she knows. Torn between the dueling desires of the two leaders of the Secret Circle, Cassie is struggling again. Does she use her considerable supernatural power to save lives, or does she put all her energy into keeping Adam, the boys she loves. Cassie's relationship with Adam is threatening to tear the circle apart, so where does Cassie's loyalty, and strength, truly lie? Is she brave enough to lead the coven out of danger? Or will she fall prey to the darkness..? 


My Review
I went straight onto this one when I finished the first book. 
Cassie is now part of The Circle but things are getting more dangerous. The Captive is actually my favourite out of the series, things seem to move forward more, the characters develop and the plot is better paced. The story is still predictable, but there is enough magic and intrigue to keep you wanting to read.
The Power is a great conclusion to the book and leaves you with a satisfying ending.
The books are easy to read and hook you in, I read them really quickly.
Faye is still one of my favourites, she's he one you love to hate. I wanted Nick to have a bigger part and for a while, I wasn't disappointed. 
Diana is a bit too nice in some places. No matter what anyone does to her she just smiles and says' it's ok, i understand.' I wanted her to get angry and shout at least once, but it never happened, but I suppose that just showed how much of the 'pure' witch she was.
Overall these books are a good quick read, worth reading, but still very predictable.


My Rating
I would give this book 7.5/10. Exciting conclusion. Some good twists and turns. but still predictable throughout

2 comments:

TG said...

I completely agree that Diana was way too good. Who's totally OK with their best friend 'taking' their boyfriend? I also rolled my eyes a lot at all the Cassie love in last book - every character started prostrating themselves at her feet and proclaiming her wonderful.

I did like how all the little things that were hinted at throughout, all came together in the end and made sense. Overall, the ending was nicely done.

I have to ask, though: did you get sick of the references to Diana's "hair like sunlight and moonlight woven together"? And Faye's "hooded amber eyes"?

barmybex said...

I know, If my best friend stole my boyfriend - I would totally flip out.
Yeah it was like bow down to Cassie, isn't she fab.
LOL I have to admit yes i did!. So her hair shines like moonlight and sunlight - we GET IT!

I think I started skimming the bits that repeated themselves so it stopped bothering me as much, But overall it was nice and wrapped up well.

:D