Friday 30 September 2011

Book Review - Kisses For Lula

Title: Kisses For Lula
Author: Samantha Mackintosh
Series: Lula (book 1)
Publisher: Egmont Books Ltd
Release Date: 4 Jun 2010
ISBN-13: 978-1405249621

Synopsis
Lula Bird is gorgeous, funny and dreading her birthday because you can't turn 16 if you've never been kissed...So why does every boy in Hambledon run a mile the second she bats her eyelids? The fact is, they fear for their lives. Rumour has it Lula's been jinxed! And it's not as if that's her only problem: Lula thinks she has a stalker, her dad keeps sneaking out at night with a lady's handbag, and a mysterious theft is threatening to bring the town to its knees... 


My Review
I had never heard of this book before. In fact it was seeing book 2 'Lula Does The Hula' in the library that got me interested. I never read a series out of order so I had to request this one to read before I could read book 2.
Lula is almost 16 but has never been kissed, she sets off on a mission to get her first kiss before she turns 16. She has more to worry about than that though, important documents relating to a building preservation have been stolen from her mum's office at the library, and her dad keeps sneaking off late at night. Is he having an affair or something else? It's a lot to deal with when you're only 15.
This book is a bit similar to the Louise Rennison/Georgia NIcholson books but not quite as funny. It's written like a diary from Lula's point  of view.
Lula is totally bonkers, she seems very scatty and silly but has a good heart. She cares about her friends and family and has a strong sense of what is right.
Arns, Lula's co-worker at the library, is funny, cute and good looking but a bit of a geek, to be honest, sort of what I would look for *blush*. I loved his character and how he would look out for Lula. 
This book is funny, mysterious and sweet. It has some sensitive moments and some laugh out loud moments. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's a great quick read.


My Rating
I would give this book 8.5/10. Funny and light hearted with some good messages. Sweet.

No comments: