Saturday 31 December 2011

Book Review - Inheritance

Title: Inheritance
Author: Christopher Paolini
Series: Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr)
Publisher: Doubleday Childrens
Release Date: 8 Nov 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0385616492

Synopsis
Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.
Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.
The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaƫsia? And if so, at what cost?

 
My Review
The wait for this book has been intense, there was a time when I wasn't sure it was ever going to arrive, but now it is here and I am in awe of it's Epicness. I love Christopher Paolini and his work (even if it does take him a while to write) I read Eragon when it first came out and I was enthralled, The cover, the writing, the adventure, the whole experience of the book and that magic has never left. 
Every cover is absolutely gorgeous and this one is no exception, the green is beautiful and the dragon seems so real.
It has been a while since I read the others in the series but with a back log of review books outstanding I couldn't justify re-reading them right now, so I did find it a little bit hard to get into at first. I am hoping once I've cleared my TBR pile a bit that I'll be able to go through and re-read the whole series. However I tried not to let this put me off. There is a summary of the first three books in the front of this one which I found helped a lot in refreshing my memory. This book is a hefty 850 pages but I couldn't get enough.
This book follows on from where the others left off. Roran is in the heart of the battle, he has become a sort of leader and is thrown into battle. Eragon is still trying to find a way to defeat Galbatorix, and has to face many trials and his journeys take him to places he could never have imagined.
This book brings everything and everyone together, the pace is good keeping you hooked and excited but not overwhelmed. Elves, Dwarfs, Urgals, Humans, Werecats and practically any other group you can think of comes together to fight in this war and they each play thier part.
I actually enjoyed the scenes with Roran more exciting in the first half of the book, but as the story went on, I found myself torn between him and Eragon, I felt connected to both and needed to know what would happen.
Angela the herbalist/witch once again features and she is one of my favourite characters, she can kick some serious butt when she needs to,she comes out with quirky one liners that always make me laugh and she is still a mystery.
Arya of course is back and I love her character, she is so strong and confident and willing to fight for her beliefs, but she also has her moments of weakness and when she connects to Eragon it is lovely.
This book is filled with so much and yet, I still want more. The book does come to a conclusion on the storyline but at the same time it has left a window open for a possible future. I really do hope that Paolini comes back to this world in the future as I don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to it just yet.
Overall a thrilling conclusion to an epic masterpiece. WOW!

My Rating
I would give this book 10/10, although started a little bit slow for me, it took me back to a world I love and captured my heart. I am sad it is over but glad it happened. This series to me is similar to Harry Potter, it will always stay in my heart. 

No comments: