Friday 2 December 2011

FF (46) & TGIF (29)

Follow Friday





Follow Friday is an opportunity to discover and follow other book related blogs! Want to join? Check it out at Parajunkee.

This week's question feature is from
Lauren @ Lauren Gets Literal

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books? Maybe you don’t like love triangles or thin plots? Tell us about it!

My Answer: Pet peeves? not sure really, erm, I don't like books that over complicate things, you knwo teh sort that have 20 different main characters across 3 lands and they all have similar names and paths. but then I also don't like it if it's too simple, the sort of books that glaze over the top - only give you the frosting but no cake to go with it. That's like someone trying to tell you  a joke but forgetting the punch line.

TGIF!


This meme is hosted by GReads!


This Friday's Question:
 
Writing Reviews 101: What's your process for writing book reviews? 
Any tips or suggestions you would recommend to other bloggers?
 

My Answer: I try to write my reviews as soon as possible after I have finished reading it as I usually pick up another book straight away and it can get confusing. I start all my reviews the same - an image of the cover with details of title, author, publisher, release date, and ISBN. I then copy the synopsis from Amazon or Goodreads.

I like to put a bit of a summary of the story in my review but not too much as of course i have the synopsis to cover that. I try to put as much of my thoughts and feelings into it - I try to get across what the book made me feel. I usually discuss characters, plot and pace. If i liked the book i will say why and if I didn't like the book I will try to explain why not - giving constructive criticism.

I think my reviews are quite good, I'm still working on my writing style, but I think as long as you be yourself and let your passion for books show through then you can't really go wrong. 


Happy Hopping, have a great weekend everyone!!! 

8 comments:

Lan said...

It's hard to find a balance between too simple or too complicated a plot isn't it? I hate books where people's names sound the same or are impossible to pronounce with all different apostrophes in them.

TP said...

Love seeing your process of writing reviews! As for bookie pet peeves, I'm not a fan of books with young sleuths, like 11 year olds solving murders or other major crimes. Crazy I know - but unless it's a fantasy type book, I keep thinking some kid is going to read it and think they can do something similar in the real world.

Kristin Aragon said...

I recently read a book I had to literally draw a map out so I knew who all the characters were. I loved the book and all the characters were important but wow.

New Follower!

My Follow Friday.

~Kristin

Kristan said...

You need a good balance between the two otherwise I'm either totally bored or totally lost. I also agree with the name thing. If its hard for me to decipher who is who then I get really confused and the story is just lost on me.

My Follow Friday
Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Alexa S. said...

As long as your personality shines through and you remain authentic and respectful, I don't think you can go wrong with a book review either! I'm still working on improving mine, but I feel that way.

Annette Mills said...

"Let your passion for books show through." Great way to put it. Love that.

Oh! Paper Pages said...

Great answer! I enjoyed reading your review process. New follower :)

barmybex said...

thanks for dropping by Lan, it is hard. I like to be able to talk about the characters but if I can't pronounce their name or remember who they are it spoils it.

Thanks Tanya - I'm surprised to hear that. I love child detective books because they offer a different way of thinking. I think they're great. Just shows how different we all are.

Kristin - wow that's patience, I might have given up with that one.

Kristan - I agree, being bored or lost is the worst things.

Thanks Alexa - glad you agree with me, I think we can all improve, even if we've been doing this for a long time.

Thanks Annette :D glad you like it.

Welcome Paper Pages. :D