Wednesday 21 December 2011

Guest Post: Lorena Bathey

Today I have a guest post from the lovely Lorena Bathey

Growing up in the Bay Area of Northern California, Lorena Bathey attended St. Mary’s College in Moraga graduating with a degree in English. Then she traveled, learned about life, and developed great fodder for a book.

Lorena Bathey found after writing her first book that characters were visiting her mind and wouldn't leave. She was introduced to Marissa, Andrea, Lily, Deidre and Beatrice and her first novel, Beatrice Munson, came to life. After finishing that book she was inspired to write more novels and she knew that pursuing her passion was the best way to live her life. So a writer she became.
 Today Lorena has nine novels in her writing queue all with screenplays in the works.

But writing isn't the only muse that inspires Lorena. She has become a passionate photographer and likes to push the envelope taking shots while learning how to navigate Photoshop.

(Taken from Goodreads Profile) 


Lorena has just written 'House on Plunket Street' a new ghost story.
I love the cover - very intriguing. 


Phoebe Bertram is boring, bland, and unexciting. She works a job that is inadequate of her abilities. She has a boyfriend that is a dud. She is on the treadmill of her life and doesn’t know how to get off.

With changes in her job and her apartment going condo, she must find a new place to live. Her friend Meghan brings her to the perfect apartment and the moment Phoebe steps in the door she knows there is something atypical about this perspective residence.

What she never expects are the three ghosts that arrive on her couch to teach her how life is really meant to be lived. 







Guest Post

"In my novel, House on Plunkett Street, the main character, Phoebe Bertram moves into a new apartment and finds that she has three women ghosts from other eras as her new life coaches.  Obviously this idea really intrigues me, so I thought I'd write in this post about which ghosts I'd like to visit me if I had the opportunity to glean some supernatural wisdom.

The first is a quick decision, Marilyn Monroe. I've always been interested in the life of this woman. The dichotomy of her frail nature combined with the strong confidence in her sexuality. You could make the argument that she had no confidence, but let me retort with the example of her wearing an almost sheer, beaded gown at Kennedy's Inaugural Ball, that my friends, takes confidence to pull off. Plus she worked on herself, her brains, and her acting abilities. That takes strength to constantly work on yourself to improve who you are. Lastly, I want to know the truth about what really happened the night she died. It's a mystery, and I want to see if my theories are right.

Next ghost would be Mary Magdalene. Not so much for the religious aspects, as to simply find out what it was like being a follower of such an important person. And what was her role exactly? What did she learn following the Son of God around? Was there any truth to the Da Vinci Code? And mostly, what was it like being a woman like in the days of sandals and Roman centurions?

The last woman ghost I'd like to meet with and learn from is actually mentioned in House on Plunkett Street, Amelia Earhart. Even as a kid I was curious about her and the journey that ended in disaster. But as a grown woman, I now would love to learn how she took her passion and strode through the world of aviation making it a place where she could not only do well, but excel. That takes a certain type of bravery and confidence that I would like to learn from.

I think that we all have individuals that we would love to sit down and have a meal with. Can you think of three that you'd like to guide you through this world we live in? You never know what you could learn from them. I think that is what makes House on Plunkett Street so fun to read.

Thank you for letting me share on your blog. I hope you'll follow my newsletter at www.LorenaBBooks.com and find me on twitter at www.twitter.com/lorenabbooks. I'm also on Facebook

And you can find all my books on Amazon.com, Barnes and Nobel.com and on Smashwords.com."

Thanks for the awesome post Lorena and such an interesting question.
I'll have to think which 3 ghosts I would pick - that's a hard question. 

No comments: